Interesting Facts About Food
1) Pineapple is a natural painkiller
The fruit contains anti-inflammatory enzymes that bring pain relief from conditions such as arthritis, according to a study at Reading University.
2) Pomegranate juice can prevent a heart attack
This wonder juice is believed to improve blood flow to the heart and lower blood pressure.
3) Onions are natural antibiotics
Onions are a great source of allicin- an antibiotic that defends the circulatory system.
4) Mushrooms can ward off colds
Rich in immune-boosting antioxidant, ergothioneine mushrooms help in preventing cold say researchers at Pennsylvania State University .
5) Blueberries can boost memory
A study at Tufts University in Boston showed eating half a cup of this fruit regularly could delay age-related deterioration in co-ordination and short-term memory.
6) You should never drink tea or coffee with meals
Tannins in tea and coffee prevent absorption of certain nutrients. A cup of tea with a meal will halve the iron you get from it, whereas a glass of orange juice will double it.
7) Cherries can cure gout
Cherries help in preventing joint inflammation as they contain a compound that stops the chemicals in the body responsible for the inflammation.
8) Eating curry could help prevent Alzheimer’s
According to a report in the Journal of Biological Chemistry, a yellow pigment used in curry, curcumin, can stop amyloid plaques in the brain that cause the condition.
9) Sniffing a lemon could help you beat asthma
The asthmatics could find lemons ease their symptoms. Studies in rats found that breathing improved after they inhaled limonene, the chemical that gives lemons their smell.
10) Kiwi fruit can improve your eyesight
It is rich in antioxidant lutein and thus protects the vision.
11) Figs can delay brittle bone disease
Good news – it is possible to slow its by eating calcium-packed figs.
12) Soya can mimic breast cancer drugs
A team of Cambridge researchers discovered that a diet high in soya can have a similar effect to anti-cancer drug Tamoxifen.
13) Barbecued-food can cause cancer
Eating meat that’s char grilled or burnt could lead to stomach, pancreatic, colon and breast cancer because it creates high levels of carcinogenic compounds.
14) Cinnamon can help diabetics
Just half a teaspoon a day of this spice can significantly reduce blood sugar levels in diabetics.
15) Watermelon is good for the prostate
Red flesh of the watermelon contains lycopene that prevents prostate cancer.
16) Coriander can lower your cholesterol levels
This aromatic herb can reduce cholesterol levels and prevent heart problems.
17) Nibbling nuts can prevent blood clots
Nuts boost nitric oxide, a compound that relaxes blood vessels and eases blood flow.
While the above article guides you to eating healthier, there is no substitute for customized professional advice given by a qualified nutritionist. We urge you to speak to your personal dietician or if you need help, contact a nutritionist at Qua Nutrition.
You can contact us at 080 3232 9292 or log on to www.quanutrition.com to Book An Appointment.